Tomorrow the musical all-rounder Elvis Costello plays at the Concert Hall in Stockholm. The question is which of the chores that apply. DN called him up.
Elvis Costello is a pop icon who made it a sport to throw pop puritans between hope and despair. Throughout his career, he switched tracks almost as often as " Big Brother " - Linda replace the boyfriend, and the last 15 - years, he exploded in the musical urge to discover ; collaborations with Burt Bacharach, Anne Sofie von Otter, the Brodsky Quartet and Charles Mingus are just a few . And in between , he has an uneven regularity found back to basics - bitter stories to guitar, bass and drum. As in last year's "The delivery man" with backing band The Imposters .
A careless look in concert programming. In other words, creating some confusion over what happens at the Concert Hall in Stockholm tomorrow night .
- We are a rock and roll band, says Elvis Costello reassuringly on the phone from the U.S. West Coast. But we have a repertoire of around 80 songs, and the guys in the band are capable of playing virtually anything.
In The Imposters, three of the members have played together before, calmly said. In addition to Elvis Costello's vocals and guitar are old The Attractions - duopoly Steve Nieve on piano and keyboards , and drummer Pete Thomas. Only bassist Dave Faragher is reasonably new.
"The delivery man " is a roots-rock/blues/country/jazzskiva which, judging by how many minutes Elvis Costello can grind on about how good the band is feels as if he has finally found a home. But, no, forget it.
- I find it so hard to realize that I should refrain from the musical opportunities that come my way , he says. And all of this " other" as I have done, Burt Bacharach, jazz, and even theatre music, renews my interest in picking up the electric guitar again, open the skull and heave out of me.
Elvis Costello says his style shifts are rarely a problem for the audience. However for us in the media to describe what he does.
- As soon as I do something different, some almost an allergic reaction. It started with country album "Almost Blue" in 1981. After about five years , however, tend reaction fold and these people can begin to listen to what is actually on the disc, and not in their own expectations.
Elvis Costello has surprised established that none of his musical projects aroused such strong emotions as the 2003 laid-back jazz record " North" . When it was released, he found himself almost running a media gauntlet.
- It's almost a bit of fun that I have upset people most with my most low-key album, he says, laughing. But if you listen to "North " you'll hear that several of the songs could easily be done with a rock band and sharpened edges. Now, I did not do it, and that was my crime. But those who do not hear, for example, the soul of the disc has not made one iota of what I have ever done, not even the loudest discs.
It may be frustrating for the old school Costello fans to never find out what their idol's next step will be. But not even he himself knows. All he knows is that there will be 1977 again.
- The Attractions were a fantastic band once. But there is no need to compete with the better was the age of 22. It was a unique time in my career and it never will again. But I tell you, I'm incredibly much stronger today than then. I could kick the young Elvis Costello in the ass and bounce around with him.
So it will be tough rock in Stockholm on Wednesday?
- Remember that everything can be done on live. Several of the songs I did with Burt Bacharach, I have interpreted the scene in a completely different way than how it sounded on the disc. But of course, central to the concert will probably be the album "The Delivery Man" .
- I understand that the tsunami in Asia hit many Swedes, and I do not know if you can just come flying in in Stockholm and say " hey, come on then plays us a little rock and roll," but music is also a way to find back to life, and we will try to help .